Innovative Therapies for Treatment-Resistant Pain and Mood Disorders in Nashua, NH
NeuroStar uses transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to target key areas of the brain that are underactive in people with depression. It is not ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).
While the exact cause of depression is not known, the leading scientific theory is that it is caused by an imbalance of the brain’s neurotransmitters, which are chemical messengers that send signals between brain cells.
What is NeuroStar Advanced Therapy (TMS)?
During a NeuroStar treatment session, a magnet similar in strength to that used in a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is used to stimulate nerve cells in the area of the brain thought to control mood. These magnetic pulses may have a positive effect on the brain’s neurotransmitter levels, making long-term remission possible.
NeuroStar Advanced Therapy FAQ
Is TMS Therapy covered by my insurance?
• A vast majority of commercial and Medicare plans have recognized the effectiveness of treating depression with TMS Therapy and now cover TMS as part of their plans.
Is TMS Therapy a good alternative for patients who cannot tolerate the side effects of antidepressant medications?
• TMS does not circulate in the blood throughout the body, so it does not have side effects like weight gain, sexual dysfunction, nausea, dry mouth, sedation, etc. The most common side effects reported during clinical trials were headache and scalp discomfort —generally mild to moderate—occurring less frequently after the first week of treatment.
Is TMS Therapy like other alternative therapies that use magnets to treat some illnesses?
• No. TMS Therapy involves a unique method of using pulsed magnetic fields for a therapeutic benefit. The intensity of the magnetic field is similar to that of an MRI. These techniques differ radically from the popular use of low intensity, static magnetic fields. Those products deliver weak and undirected static fields that are not capable of activating brain cells. The activation and stimulation of brain cells is a key part of why TMS is so effective.
Does it Work?
• For people who have not found relief from antidepressants, NeuroStar is a safe and proven alternative treatment for depression without the side effects of medication. Over 4.8 million NeuroStar Advanced TMS treatments have been performed in over 134,000 patients.
Does it Hurt?
• Many patients experience side effects from their medication, increasing the chance that they will stop taking them. The most common side effects for NeuroStar TMS reported during clinical trials were headache and scalp discomfort —generally mild to moderate—occurring less frequently after the first week of treatment.
Treatment with NeuroStar Advanced Therapy is easy:
- Therapy sessions are conducted in our Nashua, NH office
- You can return to normal activities right away
- You are awake during treatment
- There are no negative effects on memory or sleep
- It’s covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare, New Hampshire Medicaid, and most commercial insurance plans
With more than three million treatments delivered, this novel treatment approach to achieving remission is bringing new hope to people every day.
Here’s what you can expect from a NeuroStar Advanced Therapy (TMS) session:
You’ll recline comfortably in the treatment chair. A small, curved magnetic coil will be
positioned lightly on your head.
NeuroStar delivers focused magnetic stimulation directly to the target areas of the brain.
You’ll hear a clicking sound and feel a tapping sensation on your head.
NeuroStar Advanced Therapy: Depending on your doctor’s recommendation, each treatment takes between 19 and 37 minutes.
You can resume normal activities immediately. Because there are no effects on alertness or memory, you can drive yourself to and from
In-office treatment with NeuroStar TMS Therapy typically takes 19-37 minutes
and is administered 5 days a week for approximately 4-6 weeks.*
Want to see if you would be a good TMS treatment candidate? Scan the QR code below or click the link to get started!
Hear from a NeuroStar Patient!
Visit neurostar.com for indications for use and safety information.
Ketamine Infusion Therapymore info
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (RSD)more info
Chronic Painmore info
NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)more info
Stellate Ganglion Blockmore info